Camp Meals - Coconut Curry Lentil Dhal
2 handfuls kale
400 g red lentils, – dry weight
750-800 ml water
400 ml (1 can) full fat coconut milk
2 cloves of garlic
2-3 tbsp curry powder
1 small piece fresh ginger
salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the garlic, onion and fresh ginger and place them in a saucepan with a splash of water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the lentils and curry powder and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in the water and coconut milk.
- Dice the sweet potato, chop the kale and add them to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and put the lid on.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are cooked.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
If I'm bringing this on a hike we dehydrate the dhal, so in this case, make sure you chop up the sweet potato and kale finely. (Side note - you can substitute the sweet potato for carrots, I've tried that and it's just as delicious.)
Dehydrate the Dhal until crispy and portion into a reusable zip-lock bag. Once it's time to eat at camp, simply boil up enough water and cook the rice and Dahl in your cozy (I recommend cooking the rice and Dhal separately). ENJOY!
Also, I really recommend the the 'Earthly Grains' Instant Rice from ALDI.
ITISTHEBEST and comes out PERFECTLY EVERY TIME!
Recipe from Blooming Nolween
There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!